THE Liberal Party of Canada on Sunday unveiled its plan to move forward for a stronger middle class, and for a better Canada for all Canadians.
“Middle class Canadians do the heavy lifting in our economy,” said Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau. “So when we choose to give more help to the middle class and the people working hard to join it, we are choosing a stronger economy. We are choosing a more affordable, more fair Canada. We are choosing a cleaner, better country for our kids and grandkids. We are choosing forward.”
He said “Forward: A Real Plan for the Middle Class” builds on the progress they have made investing in families, workers, and communities. Under their plan, the Liberals will cut taxes for the middle class, without giving a break to millionaires. They will ban assault rifles and strengthen gun control. They will continue to take bold action to protect our environment and fight climate change.
“The Conservatives want to go back to the Harper years, where they give tax cuts to millionaires, loosen gun regulations, and make it free to pollute again,” said Trudeau. “Andrew Scheer doesn’t think it’s possible to grow the economy and fight climate change. He’s wrong. Our plan will create jobs, reduce pollution, and leave a healthier planet for our kids and grandkids.”
When a Liberal government is re-elected, the average family in Canada will also:
- Save $1,000 a year on their family’s cell phone plans when we lower bills by 25 per cent;
- Save nearly $600 a year when we lower taxes for everyone but the already wealthy;
- See their aging parents’ Old Age Security go up by at least $729 when they turn 75;
- Save hundreds of dollars a month on mortgage payments on their first home;
- Get an interest-free loan of up to $40,000, and hundreds of dollars in incentives, if they want to retrofit their home and save more money on bills;
- Save $800 a year when we lower fees for before and after school child care;
- Get up to $1,000 more to help with the costs of raising a newborn when we boost the Canada Child Benefit for children under the age of one; and
- Get more money when we make maternity and parental benefits tax-free, and 15 weeks of paid leave if they adopt.
Forward: A Real Plan for the Middle Class also gives real help to the next generation of Canadian leaders. The costs of tuition, rent, books, and groceries — along with cuts to student aid by provincial Conservative governments — are putting an immense amount of pressure and stress on students.
Trudeau said a re-elected Liberal government will help more students prepare for good jobs while taking on less debt.
- It will give students up to $1,200 more, per year, by increasing Canada Student Grants by another 40 per cent, to help with the rising cost of tuition, books, and rent; and
- It will give students two years after graduation to get started before they need to begin paying off their student loans, interest free.
- It will change the rules so that, even after the two year grace period, graduates won’t have to start repaying their loans until they make at least $35,000, and can put their loans on hold if their income drops below this level; and
- It will allow parents to pause student loan repayments — with no interest — until their youngest child reaches the age of five. This means more money to help pay for things like baby products and child care in those important, and expensive, first years.
“Like Doug Ford, Andrew Scheer will cut support for college and university students. But what the Conservatives fail to understand is that the greatest investment we can make in our future is in education and training,” said Trudeau. “We won’t make the same mistakes. On education. On the environment. On the economy. We will not fall back and fall behind. We will move forward, and choose to lead.”