LIBERALS will strengthen the middle class, create jobs, and grow Canada’s economy by making historic new investments in infrastructure, announced federal Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau on Thursday.
“This election is a clear choice between smart investments that create jobs and growth, or austerity and cuts that will slow our economy further. [Prime Minister Stephen] Harper has failed to help the struggling middle class, and [NDP Leader Tom] Mulcair will cut billions of dollars in public investments,” said Trudeau. “Successful, confident countries invest in their own future. Canada is a great country and it deserves better leadership. Only Liberals have a real plan to build a strong economy that will bring growth to the middle class and create solid jobs that Canadians can count on.”
A Liberal government will make the largest new infrastructure investment in Canadian history. Our plan will:
* Nearly double federal infrastructure investment to almost $125 billion – from the current $65 billion – over the next decade, reaching an additional $9.5 billion by year ten;
* Make an immediate down payment to kick-start job creation and economic growth by doubling the current federal infrastructure investment in each of the next two fiscal years;
* Provide new, dedicated funding to provinces, territories, and municipalities for:
– Public transit infrastructure,
– Social infrastructure – including affordable housing and seniors facilities, early learning and child care, and cultural and recreational infrastructure,
– Green infrastructure – including local and wastewater facilities, climate resilient infrastructure, and clean energy;
* Increase the transparency of the New Building Canada Fund by providing clearer project criteria and faster approval processes that will now prioritize investments in roads, bridges, transportation, ports, and border gateways; and
* Help fund public infrastructure projects with the creation of a new Canada Infrastructure Bank.
“Every dollar we spend on public infrastructure grows our economy, creates jobs, and strengthens our cities and towns,” said Trudeau. “Government has a responsibility to act decisively and for the public good. Canada’s economic growth was made possible by building ambitiously. We must do so again if we are to transform our transit and transportation systems, create more liveable communities, and ensure that we adapt to a changing climate.”