The Surrey Six murder case has been broken into two trials – with high-profile gangster Jamie Bacon being tried separately from his three co-accused.
Neil MacKenzie, spokesman for the Attorney General’s criminal justice branch, said Thursday that Bacon’s prosecution had been severed from that of Cody Rae Haevischer, Matthew James Johnston and
Quang Vinh Thang (Michael) Le.
MacKenzie said all four men continue to face the same charges, though two new indictments reflecting the severance were filed in B.C. Supreme Court Thursday.
MacKenzie wouldn’t comment on whether Bacon requested the change or if it had come about because of a pre-trial court order.
Nor could he say if the two trials would be run at the same time or back to back.
All four accused are charged with conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the gangland murders of six people – including two bystanders – in a penthouse suite of Surrey’s Balmoral Tower on Oct. 19, 2007.
There is still no trial date set, though proceedings are expected to get underway in early 2013.