SURREY RCMP are advising the public of a suspicious person investigation after a man in a car approached a child who was waiting outside a school in Surrey.
At approximately 1 p.m. on Monday (May 14), a man in a car drove up to the child, who was in front of Frost Road Elementary School in the 8600-block of 162nd Street, and tried to convince them to get in his car. The child did not enter the vehicle and ran to a safe location.
The suspect is described as a South Asian male, in his 40’s or younger in age, with a trimmed beard which had grey patches. He was wearing a blue turban with orange underneath.
The suspect vehicle is described as a grey sedan with tinted windows and a messy interior.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502, or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-8477 or www.solvecrime.ca
Police remind children and youth of personal safety precautions:
- Don’t take short cuts. Use main routes … avoid lanes, forested or secluded areas.
- Walk with friends.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.
- Phone home when leaving a friend’s house and say when you will be home.
- Don’t assist strangers.
- Trust your instincts and your feelings.
- Phone if you are going to be delayed, or if your plans change.