On January 23 at 7:45 p.m., a member of Surrey RCMP’s Traffic Enforcement Services spotted a suspected stolen car. The officer pulled the car over and took the alleged driver, believed to be intoxicated, into custody. As a result of the arrest a loaded semi-automatic pistol, suspected illicit drugs, and a large sum of cash were seized.
Now charged is 31-year-old John Schoch of Surrey with one count of each of the following five offences:
* Possession of a loaded firearm without registration or license
* Possession of a firearm without registration or license
* Possession of a firearm while prohibited
* Possession of stolen property
* Impaired operation of a vehicle
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are possible. Schoch remains in custody.
“Thanks to a sharp eye and quick thinking by this traffic officer, another gun is off the streets,” said Cpl. Scotty Schumann on Tuesday. “In police work a seemingly routine event can quickly evolve into a significant investigation.”