Richmond, BC – Celebrate the spookiest holiday of the year with activities starting Saturday, October 25 and leading up to and including Halloween. Take a Halloween-themed tour at Britannia Shipyards, brave South Arm’s haunted house and select an ice skating session with costumes encouraged. Also, choose between four free fireworks shows throughout Richmond on the evening of Friday, October 31.
Halloween events in Richmond include the following:
- Britannia Shipyards, National Historic Site: Two tours are available. The free 15-minute Historical Halloween tour highlights past Halloween traditions of Britannia’s multicultural workforce. Tours are Saturday, October 25 and Sunday, October 26, 1 to 4 p.m., 5180 Westwater Drive. Steveston’s Haunted Walk (suitable for all ages) reveals murder mysteries, mayhem and ghost stories. The two-hour walk starts at Steveston Museum, 3811 Moncton Street, and ends at the Britannia Shipyards site for refreshments and treats. Tours are $15 per person and are offered from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 25 (course #688408) and Sunday, October 26(course #688458). Call 604-276-4300 to register.
- Richmond Nature Park – Wild Things: Walk along a trail lined with hundreds of jack-o-lanterns and meet mischievous racoons, a friendly bear, chatty crows and other forest friends. Children can have their face painted, listen to stories or join in a sing-along. $10 per family. Saturday, October 25 and Sunday, October 26, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., 11851 Westminster Highway, at No. 5 Road.
- South Arm Community Centre: Trick-or-treat indoors and enjoy family-friendly crafts, spooky scenes, bouncy castles and more. Brave souls aged 12+ are invited to delve into The Darkness, South Arm’s multi-room haunted house. Admission by cash or non-perishable food item donation. Activities start at 5:30 p.m. Free fireworks are at 9:15 p.m. Friday, October 31, 8880 Williams Road. For more information, call 604-718-8060.
- Minoru Park: Free annual fireworks show where music, clowns, a magic show, fire juggling and a spectacular fireworks finale will take place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.Fireworks start at 8:30 p.m. Friday, October 31, 7191 Granville Avenue. For more information, call 604-276-4300.
- McLean Park in Hamilton: Free Halloween fireworks show at 8:15 p.m. Friday, October 31, 22500 McLean Avenue. For more information, call 604-718-8055.
- West Richmond Community Centre/Hugh Boyd Park Oval: Free fireworks show at 8:15 p.m. Friday, October 31, 9180 No. 1 Road. For more information, call 604-238-8400.
- Minoru Arenas – Halloween skate: Treats, tricks and on-ice games. Wear a costume and get free skate rentals and hot chocolate. Family rates or regular admission rates apply. Friday, October 31, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., 7551 Minoru Gate. For more information, call 604-238-8475.
- Richmond Olympic Oval – Haunted Halloween skate: Costume contest, crafts and prizes. Friday, October 31, 8 to 9:45 p.m., 6111 River Road. For more information, call 778-296-1400.
Fireworks and fire crackers can be very dangerous and it is illegal to possess, buy or sell them in Richmond. Under Richmond’s Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw 8306, offences and fines include purchasing fireworks ($1,000 fine), displaying fireworks for sale ($1,000 fine), selling or distributing fireworks ($1,000 fine) or possession of fireworks without a permit ($200 fine). A zero tolerance approach will be taken.