Makeshift Bomb Found On SkyTrain Tracks In Surrey

SURREY: A makeshift bomb was found on SkyTrain tracks in Surrey Friday afternoon setting forth a wave of frenetic activity and putting transit workers on high alert. The device was subsequently removed by RCMP’s bomb disposal squad and no harm was done. No suspects have been named at this point in time. This is the first ever explosive devise found on TransLink property and now raises serious concern about preventing it from happening in the future.

At around 2 p.m., Surrey RCMP’s explosives unit was dispatched to a section of the Expo Line after a passenger reported seeing a suspicious red canister on the line midway between the Scott Road and Gateway stations.

When the unit arrived, they found three empty tanks strapped to a small red canister, with straps and wires sticking out of the bundle, according to transit police spokeswoman Anne Drennan

“When you looked down on the device you could see what appeared to be some sort of red canister; it looked like possibly a fire extinguisher or an oxygen tank,” Drennan said.

The unit removed the entire contraption in an explosive safe container and will dismantle it, keeping the tanks for forensic testing and evidence, Drennan said. The device itself will be blown up for safety reasons.

“We have no idea how the device was placed there; it is possible physically for it to have been thrown up on the track but we don’t know that’s what happened and we don’t know how long it was there,” Drennan said. “We are asking anybody who had seen anything suspicious to give Transit police a call.”

The discovery led TransLink to stop running trains between Scott Road and Gateway stations — with a bus bridge running between the two stations— until 5:30 p.m.

Almost six hours after that device was found, an RCMP bomb disposal unit was also dispatched to Metrotown station in Burnaby when a TransLink attendant found another suspicious object outside the east entrance. The object was “slightly hidden” up against a concrete wall near the station entrance and was found during sweeps of all stations in the system.

But by 10 p.m., investigators had confirmed that the device was not explosive.