Dhillon was accompanied by his wife, Kawaljit, and sons Karam Singh and Shabaig Singh at City Hall to formally file his nomination forms.
“When I was first elected as City Councillor, my constituents gave me a mandate to create jobs, attract a university, and change the way politics was done in Brampton. Though we have achieved a great deal, there is much more to do,” he said.
“In 2016, my motion to create up to 25,000 jobs was unanimously accepted by Council, and has begun to change the direction of the City to job creation rather than continued residential development. And, as a member of the University Blue Ribbon committee, I am proud to have been part of Ryerson’s expansion into Brampton.”
Dhillon says he has also been successful in:
* Having all Council recorded votes posted online monthly
* Placing a temporary ban on Uber
* Urging the province to ban misleading door-to-door sales agents
* Increasing citizen engagement with ‘Municipal 101’ educational sessions
* Organizing free weekly drop-in basketball program for youth
* Hosting annual town halls at 40 neighbourhood parks
* Championing the new Komagata Maru Park
* Improving service level, response and communication during severe weather events
* Speaking out against wasteful spending, including the Brampton Beast and Riverstone Golf Club bailouts
As a Regional Councillor, Dhillon vows to advocate for more policing, more affordable housing, and improved waste management, and acknowledges the increasingly urgent need for a strong voice for city planning, as new provincial legislation has now placed this responsibility in the hands of the region.
Dhillon has already received the endorsements of MP Raj Grewal, MP Kamal Khera, MP Ruby Sahota, MP Ramesh Sangha, MP Sonia Sidhu, Mayor Linda Jeffrey, Councillor Pat Fortini, Councillor Martin Medeiros, Toronto School Board Trustee Avtar Minhas, Markham MP Bob Saroya, as well as Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.
Details including platform, office location, official website and contact information will be released in the upcoming weeks.