Famous South Vancouver Indian restaurant gutted in fire

A well known Indian restaurant in South Vancouver was gutted in a huge fire on Wednesday afternoon.

Vancouver Fire Captain Gabe Roder said the fire, at Tandoori King on the 8000-block of Fraser Street, started at about 5:45 p.m.

While firefighters initially tried to quell the blaze from inside the building, intense heat and flames forced them outside, Roder said.

The restaurant is celebrated as a home to some of Vancouver’s best Indian food and has been a family run business for the past twenty five years.

Fraser Street was closed between Marine Drive and 64th Avenue throughout the evening.

Later on Thursday, the Fire Investigator determined that the 3rd alarm fire on the 8000 block of Fraser was an accidental fire that started in the kitchen of the restaurant. No one was reported injured.