THE next stage of maintenance work to replace running rail and rail pads on the Expo Line continues this weekend from 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 23 to 3 p.m. on Sunday, September 24, says TransLink.
As the nature of the work requires single-tracking during daytime service hours, customers travelling on SkyTrain through Vancouver can expect some delays.
Crews will be replacing running rail along a curved section just west of Main Street-Science World Station. The rail must be pre-bent before it is lifted by crane up to track level and installed. The contractor performing the work needs 15 continuous hours to complete the job.
Customers can expect modified service, including temporary changes to regular Expo Line operating patterns:
* Expo Line trains will be using one track in both directions near Main Street-Science World and Commercial-Broadway stations.
* Expo Line trains will only operate between Waterfront and King George stations.
* Special SkyTrain service trains will run between New Westminster and VCC-Clark stations for customers who need to travel between Columbia and Production Way stations.
* Additional shuttle trains will run between Waterfront and Commercial-Broadway stations to help alleviate crowding.
* Expo Line passengers should allow for 15-20 minutes extra travel time.
* Millennium and Canada Lines will operate normally.
TransLink says it will provide an update if the schedule for the work changes.