BEGINNING this Friday (September 29), important construction work as part of the upgrades at Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain Station will result in some temporary changes for people travelling by bus, SkyTrain and car through the area.
Upgrades to this station are to ensure the transit system meets the needs of our growing region, and include an additional platform for Expo Line trains, a widened crossing over the Grandview Cut and a new pedestrian walkway over Broadway. There will also be the addition of two new elevators and four up-and-down escalators to improve access.
In order to install the steel structure to support the new pedestrian walkway at the station, the work requires temporary lane closures on Broadway and the temporary relocation of bus stops for the 9 and 99 routes, beginning Friday, September 15.
A full road closure on Broadway will occur between 10 p.m. on Friday, September 29 and midnight on Sunday, October 1. TransLink is encouraging vehicle traffic to avoid this area as detours will be in effect.
Other temporary changes for transit users and drivers during the work in the area include:
· Bus – The 9 and 99 routes will use temporary bus stops until October 1, and passengers may need to cross the street to catch their bus. There will be minor detours for the 9 and 99 whenever all westbound lanes are closed. Signs and additional staff will be on site to direct passengers to the temporary stops.
· SkyTrain – Access to Commercial-Broadway Station will not change, but there will be minor delays as trains single track around the work area during key times on September 30.
· Drivers – A full closure of Broadway the weekend of September 30 / October 1. Drivers are encouraged to avoid this area while detours are in effect.
Construction work is dependent on weather conditions, and the dates / times of the road closures are subject to change.
· For up-to-date service impacts, visit translink.ca/alerts.
· For up-to-date road closures, visit vancouver.ca/roadwork.