Candle safety awareness during holiday season

AS we move into the winter holiday season, Surrey Fire Service is offering safety tips for use of candles. Candles are commonly used for decorations, ceremonies, special occasions, heat and light at this time of year, but without due care they can quickly cause a fire if not managed safely.

Here are some tips to use candles safely:

  • Think about using flameless candles. They look like real candles.
  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep candles at least 30 cm (1 foot) away from anything that can burn (Trees, Fabrics, Etc.)
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily and place them on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Place candles up high and away from areas where pets could accidentally knock them over.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach.
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.
  • Never burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Never place or use candles near the stove.
  • During a power outage have solar or battery-powered lighting ready to use instead of a candle.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.