ON Tuesday, April 25, from 6 to 8 p.m., the City of Brampton will host its official Sikh Heritage Month reception, with Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Amarjeet Sohi confirmed as a speaker.
“April is Sikh Heritage Month in Ontario and the City of Brampton will proudly celebrate the significant contributions of its Sikh community,” said Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon.
This year, the City will be honouring five outstanding Sikh-Bramptonians:
· Avtar Aujla: The first South Asian City Councillor in Brampton, serving from 2000-2003.
· Bikramjit Singh Gill: Professional basketball player in Asia whose career began playing Division 1 NCAA at Ball State University in Indiana.
· Harvinder Kaur Bajwa: A disability rights advocate, fundraiser and founder of Canadian South Asians Supporting Independent Living (C-SASIL).
· Manvinder Singh Sahota: A Brampton raised basketball player who has competed in the NCAA, across North America and internationally, and currently runs a non-profit youth sports academy.
· Rupan Singh Bal: A Canadian–Punjabi actor and comedian.
“The reception is open to the public and all residents are invited to attend as Brampton celebrates its great diversity,” said Dhillon.