HEY basketball fans, if you’re in the mood to watch some great local talent fight it on the hardwood, then get down to Langley Events Center for the BCHSBBA (B.C. High School Boys Basketball Association) A, AA, AAA and AAAA Basketball Championship presented by TELUS.
Sixteen teams will take the floor in each of the four divisions from Wednesday, March 11 to Saturday, March 14.
A local team to keep an eye on is Lord Tweedsmuir Panthers from Cloverdale.
It took 62 long years for them to qualify for the tourney – they beat out some of the top teams to qualify for the big dance , and they’ll be there in 2015 thanks to a second-place finish at the Quad A Fraser Valley Basketball Championships on last Saturday (February 28).
“The team might not have a standout player, but the players work as a unit and have built lasting relationships,” head coach Raj Bagry told The Now Newspaper.“We don’t have one star. We have five kids that will score. The guys coming off the bench will put their minutes in. There’s not one person that does it all. It’s family.”
Entering the 16-team Quad A Provincial Championships, Lord Tweedsmuir will come in at No. 5 and play No. 12 West Vancouver.
In the Triple A bracket, Fleetwood Park won their Fraser Valley championship game 72-69 against Robert Bateman. The Dragons enter their provincial bracket as the No. 2 team and will play No. 15 Dawson Creek in their opening game.
Southridge took the Double A Fraser Valley trophy after defeating G.W. Graham 92-88. Double A tourney hosts Delview Secondary, also qualified for the provincial tournament after finishing third. Southridge picked up the No. 2 spot in the provincials and will take on No. 15 Nechako Valley, while No. 11 Delview will play No. 6 Kwalikum.
For tickets info and schedules go to:
The Final Top 10 senior boys rankings of the 2014-15 season heading into the big show have been released and here are the top teams:
(Ranking reflects games played February 25-28, records reflect B.C. competition only)
- Oak Bay Bays (Victoria)
- Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver)
- Kelowna Owls
- Yale Lions (Abbotsford)
- Burnaby South Rebels
- Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam)
- David Thompson Trojans (Vancouver)
- Lord Tweedsmuir Panthers (Surrey)
- Walnut Grove Gators (Langley)
- Vancouver College Fighting Irish
- Sir Charles Tupper Tigers (Vancouver)
- Fleetwood Park Dragons (Surrey)
- Charles Hays Rainmakers (Prince Rupert)
- R.A. McMath Wildcats (Richmond)
- St. Thomas More Knights (Burnaby)
- Abbotsford Panthers
- Robert Bateman Timberwolves (Abbotsford)
- McNair Marlins (Richmond)
- Nanaimo District Islanders
- Vernon Panthers
- St. Michaels University School Blue Jags (Victoria)
- Southridge Storm (Surrey)
- Golden Eagles
- Valleyview Vikes (Kamloops)
- Lambrick Park Lions (Victoria)
- Delview Raiders (North Delta)
- H.J. Cambie Crusaders (Richmond)
- G.W. Graham Grizzlies (Chilliwack)
- Clarence Fulton Maroons (Vernon)
10.-tie Collingwood Cavaliers (West Vancouver)
10.-tie Kwalikum Kondors (Qualicum Beach)