HEALTH Minister Adrian Dix and Provincial Health Minister Dr. Bonnie Henry on Saturday announced 92 new cases of COVID-19 for a total of 884 cases in British Columbia.
Every health region in British Columbia has patients with COVID-19: 444 are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 291 are in the Fraser Health region, 60 are in the Island Health region, 77 are in the Interior Health region and 12 are in the Northern Heath region.
There has been another COVID-19 related death in the Vancouver Coastal region, resulting in a total of 17 COVID-19 related deaths in British Columbia.
One new long-term care home in the Fraser Health region has a resident who has tested positive for COVID-19. There are now COVID-19 cases in 12 facilities in B.C. All are in the Fraser and Vancouver Coastal health regions. Public health officials are providing support to implement outbreak protocols.
Three hundred and ninety-six people who had tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered and no longer have isolation requirements.
Of the total COVID-19 cases, 81 individuals are currently hospitalized, 52 of those in hospital are in intensive care, and the remaining people who have tested positive for COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Dix and Henry said: “In recent weeks we have implemented strategic restrictions in the province; to reduce high-risk points of transmission, while keeping essential activities going.
“We have ordered citizens to stay home if they have travelled or are ill, and we have urged people to stay apart with physical distancing.
“We have seen countless examples of community goodwill: supporting those in self-isolation, shopping for neighbours and connecting with care and compassion.
“We have taken a step in the right direction, but we know that in the coming weeks, the number of cases is going to continue to rise and our health system will be put to test.
“As a province, all of us must do everything we can to avoid the devastating impacts that we have seen in other parts of the world.
“We must be united and 100% committed to doing all we can to flatten the curve. Thank you for helping to make a difference and now, more than ever, we need you to keep it up.”
* Total confirmed cases in B.C.: 884
* New cases since March 27, 2020: 92
* Hospitalized cases: 81
* Intensive care: 52
* COVID-19 related deaths: 17
* Recovered: 396
Confirmed cases by region:
* Vancouver Coastal Health: 444
* Fraser Health: 291
* Island Health: 60
* Interior Health: 77
* Northern Health: 12
New provincial advice and measures:
* Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, has made an order on farmers markets. All episodic vending markets (also known as “farmers’ markets” or “community markets”) must only allow vendors to serve food to be sold at these events. Vendors of all other merchandise are prohibited at these events.
* Critical care and acute care hospitalization modelling information from Henry and deputy health minister, Stephen Brown: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/COVID19_Technical_Briefing_Condensed.pdf